The role of Australia’s Sex Discrimination Commissioner is established under the Sex Discrimination Act 1984 with the mandate to address sex discrimination and promote gender equality in Australia.
The Commission works in partnership with a broad range of groups to promote gender equality and counter discrimination, sexual harassment, violence against women and other barriers to equality.
The Commission undertakes major research projects and provide policy advice to government and others to bring about positive change.
Elizabeth Broderick was appointed Sex Discrimination Commissioner in September 2007, and served in the role until 4 September 2015. Kate Jenkins is the current Sex Discrimination Commissioner.
In July 2010, Commissioner Broderick launched her Gender Equality Blueprint 2010 that outlined five priority areas for addressing sex discrimination and promoting gender equality in Australia:
- Balancing paid work and family and caring responsibilities
- Ensuring women’s lifetime economic security
- Promoting women in leadership
- Preventing violence against women and sexual
- Strengthening national gender equality laws,
agencies and monitoring
Click here for the latest on the work of the Sex Discrimination Office.
Please find selected AHRC publications below:
- Supporting Working Parents: Pregnancy and Return to Work National Review Report (2014) https://www.humanrights.gov.au/our-work/sex-discrimination/projects/supporting-working-parents-pregnancy-and-return-work-national
- Sexual Harrasment: Know the Line (2014): https://knowtheline.humanrights.gov.au
- Collaboration for Cultural Reform in Defence (2011 – ongoing): https://defencereview.humanrights.gov.au
- Women in male-dominated industries: A toolkit of strategies (2013): https://www.humanrights.gov.au/our-work/sex-discrimination/publications/women-male-dominated-industries-toolkit-strategies-2013
- Investing in care: Recognising and valuing those who care: https://www.humanrights.gov.au/our-work/sex-discrimination/publications/investing-care-recognising-and-valuing-those-who-care
- Know your rights: Sex discrimination and sexual harassment: https://www.humanrights.gov.au/our-work/sex-discrimination/publications/know-your-rights-sex-discrimination-and-sexual-harassment
- Australian study tour report – Visit of the UN Special Rapporteur on violence against women: https://www.humanrights.gov.au/our-work/sex-discrimination/publications/australian-study-tour-report-visit-un-special-rapporteur
- 2010 Gender Equality Blueprint: https://www.humanrights.gov.au/our-work/sex-discrimination/publications/gender-equality-blueprint-2010