Ian Robertson AO is a corporate, commercial, media and regulatory lawyer who advises a wide range of Australian and overseas clients with particular emphasis on the media, entertainment and technology industries.
Ian joined Holding Redlich in Melbourne as a lawyer in 1989 and was appointed as a partner in 1990. In 1994 he relocated to Sydney to establish the firm’s Sydney office and he was the Managing Partner of the Sydney office until 1 July 2015 when he became National Managing Partner.
He has been listed in The Best Lawyers in Australia as a leading lawyer in the categories of Corporate Law and Entertainment Law since 2011 and he is recognised as a Leading Technology, Media and Telecommunications Lawyer in Doyle’s Guide.
In January 2018, Ian was appointed as an Officer in the General Division of the Order of Australia for distinguished service to the arts, particularly the Australian film industry and screen production sector, and to the law.
- public policy, public sector governance, and regulatory issues including as the Chair of a Victorian Government statutory agency (Film Victoria), Deputy Chair of two Commonwealth Government statutory agencies (Screen Australia and Film Australia) and a board member of an Australian Government regulator (the Australian Broadcasting Authority, including jointly leading the radio “cash for comment” inquiry)
- advising Australian advertising agencies on legal compliance, and approving advertisements for publication and broadcast
- advising Australian and overseas media companies on Australian regulatory issues
- advising several Commonwealth agencies in respect of governance issues over an extended period.
- Film Victoria – President of the Board (2011 to 2020)
- Beyond International Limited – Director (2005 to date)
- Screen Australia – Deputy Chair (2008 to 2013)
- Ausfilm International Inc. – Director (2001 to 2009) and Chair (2003 to 2007)
- Australian Broadcasting Authority – Member (1997 – 2004)
- Cinemedia Corporation (now called Film Victoria) – Board Member (1998 – 2000)
- Film Australia Limited – Director (1991 – 1997) and Deputy Chair (1996 – 1997)
- Melbourne Parks and Waterways – Director (1994 – 1996)
- Camberwell Grammar School – Member of Council (1991 – 1994)
- Next Wave Festival – Board of Management (1989 – 1993)
- Bachelor of Laws – University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Commerce – University of Melbourne
- Screen Producers Australia
- Communications and Media Law Association of Australia
- Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors (FAICD)
Updates from the National 2016 Group
Champions of Change National 2016 Group
Ian Robertson AO is a Member of the Champions of Change National 2016 Group. The group brings together a diverse range of significant Australian employers spanning government, retail, financial services, energy, mining, consumer goods and professional service sectors. Members are committed to lead and deliver change in gender equality, and drive a sustainable increase in the representation of women in leadership positions.